Friday, July 22, 2011

I Like to Stare at Things

Usually it isn't intentional, but I love staring. Not just at people, but at like random stuff. Such as walls, or the floor, or birds hopping around outside; anything that keeps my attention or happens to be in my line of vision when my mind temporarily shuts off, really. Unfortunately for me, this usually ends with me embarrassing myself by getting caught staring at people. Today I was tired. Super tired. It could pretty much be categorized as "wanting to just fall over and gladly sleep on the meat-, vegetable-, and bread crumb-littered tile floor of my workplace while all of the customers stare, aghast, and my coworkers contemplate alerting an ambulance" tired. I was caught staring at an old lady--twice. Aside from the misunderstanding that she thought I was mad at her (my brow was furrowed in what I like to call anti-thought, the complete absence of any mind activity), it was quickly apologized for and moved on from. The only truly blush-worthy staring moment of today was at a stoplight.

Stoplights are infamous to me as places at which eye contact should never be obtained with anyone near you, regardless of if that person is in a vehicle, on rollerblades, walking (bicycles I exclude from this because nothing is more rewarding than when the light turns green and instead of pounding the gas pedal and ramming into said bicyclist, you politely shoo them on with a hand gesture. In that small frame of a moment when they return eye contact and nod, wave, or smile in appreciation, everything you did for them was worth it)... but you catch my drift. Anyway, I was at a red light when another car was turning left in the opposite direction. The entire time she was turning, my eyes were locked onto her. I think it was the fact that she wasn't wearing makeup (while still being absolutely beautiful), and she had dreads.

At the moment I have a slight obsession with dreadlocks (I'm literally clueless as to why, they feel like straw and people who don't know how to properly care for them walk around smelling like dog piss), especially considering the only reason I'm watching the Glee Project right now is because of that amazingly sexy Samuel.

But back on topic. I stared at her for the entirety of her turning. Then suddenly, half way through her turn, she looked back at me. Shit. She saw me. She thinks I'm a creeper. Or a jerk. Because it isn't easily assumed in rural North Dakota that a girl is anything but straight so her first assumption must be that I am staring in disapproval of her assumed lifestyle (dreads make people think you're a huge stoner around here), which is completely untrue, she was gorgeous and my eyes wouldn't let me stop gazing. But, as if the skies opened a warm ray of love and understanding upon said dreads girl, she smiled at me. And I blushed. Of course I smiled back immediately, but it was my awkward half-smile out of the corner of my mouth that houses a humble piercing just below my bottom lip. A tiny silver star with a little cubic zirconia in the center. We kept eye contact for a second, give or take, and she was off. Being the stalker type I mentally noted that she drives a green Buick (I noticed the Buick layout right away, being as I own one). Oh, green Buick-driving girl with dreads and the breath-taking smile... I hope I run into you in a stuffy hipster coffeeshop some day.


... I also like using giant unnecessary text walls to explain very short, simple occurrences. You'll get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment